Nevertheless let’s me continue today… so "WHY DO WE COUGH?" Anyone got any idea please? Ok, I’m asking myself actually… :-P (who will answer me in my blog?) So let me google it again… (hey, I’m not a doctor, of course I google lar)
Below is what I found on the internet:
A cough is a symptom of infection, inflammation or irritation of the respiratory tract (lungs and airways). It is usually a reflex action triggered when cough receptors are stimulated by an irritant. Okay, Layman term… Coughs are our body's way of clearing dust and other obnoxious things out of our windpipe and lungs.
In most cases, a cough lasts 1-2 weeks and tapers off as the irritant or infection subsides. A cough lasting more than 3 weeks is known as a chronic cough and needs to be investigated. (Alright, I cough for almost 3 weeks… so no excuses for me not to see doctor… hehee)
So are there different types of cough?
Yes, 3 types actually…
- Dry - A dry or non-productive cough produces no phlegm. Normally starts as a tickle in the throat. It is usually caused by inflammation of the throat and upper airways (common cold or flu).
- Productive - A productive or wet cough brings up mucus or phlegm from the lungs. If bacterial infection is present, this sputum may be greenish, grey, or brown. In the case of allergy or viral infections, the sputum may be clear or white. Occasionally, the sputum may be blood-stained.
- Chesty. - A chesty cough may produce phlegm but the phlegm may not be loose enough to be coughed up.
Okay so Now I have seen the Doctor… is there anything I can help the body to remove the irritants as quickly and effectively as possible? Yes… let’s me see…
- Drinking more fluids, especially warm fluids, can help relax the airway and loosen up the mucus. Some people find drinking hot tea flavoured with honey helpful for coughs caused by colds or flu.
- Ensure your bowel is working daily, to flush toxins out of the system. (Praise God, this is something I have no problem in. Maybe I really have a lot of toxins in my body. No wonder I always go to the washroom. ;-P)
- Reduce intake of dairy foods
- Breathing warm humidified air can be helpful in loosening dry coughs.
- Increasing your intake of vitamin C, may be helpful in preventing colds and flu.
- Don’t stay in stuffy rooms or expose to cigarette smoke. (polluted environments) Enjoy the fresh air but wrap up warmly and don’t expose your throat to cold winds.
- Avoid exercising as exercise can trigger coughing spasms. (Oh no… My IPPT date is coming near… and I have not train for it… Oh No… no stress no stress… keep cool… okay after this better go sleep ;-P)
- If cough is caused by a respiratory infection, get plenty of rest and keep warm.
- Last but not least… stays in faith… remember what I wrote yesterday???? "Oh Lord, by your Stripes, I Am Healed!" (Isaiah 53:5 & 1 Peter 2:24)
Okay this is for people whose faith is not there yet… So when should we see a doctor?
- Cough that lasts more than 10 -14 days
- Cough up blood
- Are short of breath/have difficulty breathing/fast, laboured breathing, chest pain
- A cough in a Known asthmatic, whether or not having trouble breathing
- Have persistent green/yellow phlegm
- Cough that is accompanied by high fever that is not settling
- Cough that appears with other symptoms
So what will doctor do?
Normally doctor will prescribe cough medicine like...
- Anti-tussives - Cough suppressants that block the cough reflex
- Expectorants - Drug that thin the mucus to make it easier to cough up
- Demulcents - Cough mixtures that relieve cough
If the cough still persistence, doctor might take a history and examine your chest. You may be referred for a chest X-ray to rule out a serious lung infection. A sputum sample may be taken to help identify the type of bacterium causing the infection and to identify the most suitable antibiotic.
Hold on, I saw another article that said, “One problem with any cough suppressant is that getting rid of the cough may leave you unable to get rid of mucus and irritants from the lungs. It's possible to end up with pneumonia if you prevent your body from clearing the lungs regularly and automatically.”
Ah… is that so??? Looks like unless you want to get a medical leave else I think we should just stick to the 9 basic steps to help the body to recover first…
Nevertheless, why should we be sick? We are too blessed right? Jesus has redeem us from the sickness… so let’s us hold on to the truth and stay healthy together… and if SATAN gives the symptoms attack, let’s us said it out loud…
“BY Jesus Stripes, I Am Healed!”

2 comments:
Bro, U a lot of 'theory' on cough leh.. Are you trying to take over Doc John as brother dang MO??
No lar... juz that when U get too free... when U caught some "nonsense" cough... You juz feel like digging it out, finding out what is this cough doing on me. Anyway the details of cough is not from me... from the NET... of course I add in comments of my own. Remove some remedies which I don think is correct and add in the medicine from GOD.
Post a Comment